July 2012 Archives
For the whisky enthusiast who enjoys bold flavours, cask-strength bottles are among the most coveted expressions in any distillery's lineup. I grabbed this bottle of Knob Creek with a wedding in mind - not as a present but rather for my flask. The high alcohol content makes the best of the flask's necessarily limited capacity, and the inevitably punchy taste makes the flask last longer. The Single Barrel Reserve is nine years old and bottled at an anesthetizing 60% abv.
- Pear and tellegio cheese soup paired with a Speyside single malt
- An updated take on mushrooms on toast using king oyster mushrooms on brioche paired with a Canadian whisky
- A mini Scotch egg using a quail egg wrapped in in-house smoked trout paired with an Irish whiskey
- Sweet braised pork belly paired with an Islay whisky
- Apple bread pudding in a whisky caramel sauce paired with a Lowland whisky
- By calling them directly at 416-533-7272 and using your credit card over the phone.
- By going to the venue and paying in person.
Glenkinchie distillery, located 15 miles outside of Edinburgh, is one of only four currently active lowland distillers, producing a whisky that is characteristically light and grassy. This 14 year old variation of Glenkinchie from Diageo's Distillers Edition line has been finished in an Amontillado cask, a medium dark sherry made famous in a short story by Edgar Allen Poe. The Distillers Edition releases of Lagavulin and Oban, among others, have never failed to impress, leading to this bottle being approached with somewhat high expectations.